Monday, December 2, 2013

Vegetarian Fajitas


I have recently been inspired to get back to a vegetarian lifestyle. The inspiration probably comes from here.  And, the other part probably comes from working at a cancer institute listening to the experts speak on nutrition and how it's related to disease. 

So, anyways, I've challenged myself to go vegetarian for the month of December, and with any luck maybe I can keep it up?

Tonight's meal was veggie fajitas. It actually worked out quite well. I got home from work, prepped the food, and marinated the beans with the seasoning and lime juice. Then we headed to the gym, and by the time we got back, dinner was practically ready to go.

My recipe is from The Fresh 20, a great resource for me as I am trying new recipes.



Recipe (Adapted)

1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed.
Juice of 1 Lime
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon paprika (I skipped this because I was out)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Dash of Cayenne
1 Tablespoon Grapeseed Oil
1 Yellow Onion, thinly sliced
2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
8 whole wheat tortillas
1/2 cup Monterey Jack shredded cheese
Salsa

1. Marinate black beans in lime juice, garlic, Herbes, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne for one hour.
2. Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high to high heat and add in 1/2 Tablespoon of oil.
3. When oil is hot add in onions and bell peppers and cook for about 3 minutes.  Remove from pan and set aside.
4. Add the other 1/2 Tablesoon of oil and add the black beans.  Cook just until warm, about 2 minutes.  Add vegetables back to the pan and turn off the heat.
5. Serve in warmed tortillas, top with cheese, and salsa.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment